Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Today I read from Business Research Methods by Bryman and Bell. I definitely had a breakthrough in understanding what I am trying to do. The breakthrough is coming to an understanding of how research is done. I read a section on inductive vs. deductive research that brought me such comfort. Before reading this, much of what I had read and learned from others who had finished their research made no sense. I also think I am about to drop the literature that I have been reading, which is mostly focused on digital divide and digital equity, and begin to focus more on literature that is more targeted to my research question of Why Are African American Males Under-Represented in Computing. Today I have made the decision that I will talk to African American Male ITPros. I will interview them the weekend of August 3rd thru August 6th at The National Technology Conference of BDPA in Chicago. I also contacted Dr. Jerlando Jackson of The University of Chicago about visiting with him to discuss my research as his study is the one I intend to replicate. This book has helped with me immensely and to see clearly or more clearly what I need to do. It was time well spent. On Thursday, I will split my time between more reading of the text, and more summaries on digital divide, digital equity, k-12 computer science education. At some point I will finish those and I will start with the Jerlando Jackson dissertation and its references.

No comments: