Friday, March 18, 2011

This is the response I received from my open records request from Texas A&M University. I also sent a similar request to Trinity University and Texas Southern University in Houston. I received good feedback from Margaret on my chapter 1. I need to clarify if she is suggesting that I interview both university students and African American IT pros.

That is precisely what Jerlando Jackson did. I should check their report for an interview instrument. Today I also finished my reading of The Young and the Digital. It was a great book but it does not offer much for my chapter 2. There is one chapter on digital divide that is very general.

I will write the summary for it on Saturday and use what I can for my chapter 2. However, the afterword offered good information on methods. For example, he mentioned how the students or participants help to design the surveys, interview questions and design of the study. I am thinking of how to come up with interview questions now. There was also mention of a great book on qualitative interviewing which I ordered. Right now it seems my study will involve speaking to university students as well as IT professionals to understand their experiences around computer science in college as well as in corporate america. So, I am thinking about how to come at the interview questions. Also, I want to do a mix methods study and I am not sure about the quantitative aspect. That is a good question to talk with Margaret about on Wednesday. I also contacted Texas Southern University regarding data.

Next Steps:
Write summary of The Young and the Digital
Send new TurnItIn report for chapter 1 to Margaret
Think about quantitative aspect
Look for examples of interview question


Mr. Dupe,

Here is our response to your request for public information, our number
2011014.
In the 5 year period between 2005-2010, there were 149 black males in
Computer Science. In May of 2010, 15 of those graduated with a different
degree and 25 graduated with a degree in CS. 109 either have not
graduated yet or did not graduate at all.

No comments: