Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Today I went back over my notes from "Stuck in the Shallow End". This is my favorite piece of reading thus far on my topic. As i was reviewing and adding content and notes to my chapter 1, something I read made me think. Although I am not interested in doing my study in schools, I am interested in knowing why so few African Americans pursue careers in Information Technology. On page 9 of the book I read this:

Margolis committed her next research project to understanding what was happening at the high school level for students of color because African American and Latino majoring in computer science remained extremely low. She went on to write: It is during high school when students make academic decisions that have the most serious implications for their college and/or career opportunities.


I am definitely going to have to think about this. It makes sense that this would be a good place to look and I definitely interested in understanding this problem. I am just not excited about the idea of conducting my research in a school.

No comments: