Saturday, June 02, 2012

I actually did work on my paper on Monday for 4 hours and I made great progress.  I redid pages 1-20 fixed the citations and got the point where I am integrating the Lawson source.  I am very excited about this resource for two reasons.  First it is a source of great content for my chapter 2 and second it is a great example of the kind of writing that I need to do.  I will refer to it while I am writing in terms of referring to articles as articles as well as the examples of transitions, summaries and just how the reporting is done.  There is a great example of this on page (need to find the page where she writes about what was done her view).  Today I was not able to work but I was thinking and two things came to me.  First I am absolutely sure about my design now.  I wish to survey/interview African American male college students who are entering college with a major other than science or  STEM.  This  is absolutely the group that I need to connect with.  And I can ask them when you were choosing a major what made you NOT choose a career or computer science as a major.  The other thing that I am very happy about is that I now have a strategy for a title for my dissertation.  On page 17 of the Lawson book the reference to the title of the book "Bad Blood:  The Tuskegee Experiment".  The subjects were told that they were looking for Bad Blood.  I need to keep my eyes open when I am collecting data or as I am reading or writing to figure out my title.  For example Opting Out which is another book I am reading.  Maybe one of my subjects or folks that I am listening to or as I am reading will utter a phrase that I can use.  Like Glenn said Technology is the new hip-hop.  Wednesday I am back to writing.

No comments: