Thursday, October 22, 2009

This morning completed my writings based on chapter 1 of Technology and the African American Experience. I think this book, at least the first chapter, has produced gold in terms of contributing to my chapter one and describing the problem of Why There Are So Few African Americans in Information Technology. This chapter lays the foundation for the historic origins of the attitude that black people are technologically inferior. This is important because we see these attitudes prevailing in several of the studies i have examined thus far in 2009. What has to change is the eradication of these attitudes by those who have been conditioned and those who are doing the conditioning. I hope to finish the book this week before returning to Technology and Social Inclusion. After that I should have enough to craft my chapter 1. It should be rich. However, I will need to arrange and wordsmith. I am really looking forward to finally submitting a first draft of my chapter 1 to Dr. Riel. I really feel that I am gaining momentum, learning a great deal, and truly enjoying the journey. I also discovered several resources, scholars such as Ron Takaki, Robert Rydell, and Michael Adams, as well as Technology and Culture, which is a magazine that examines the history of technology. I need to figure out how to get access or a subscription.

Stay Tuned,
Kai

1 comment:

Tracy Talbot said...

I can "hear" the excitement you're building as you shift into the next gear with your project. This is wonderful! I cannot wait to hear what you have to say on this subject. It is relevant on so many levels!