Thursday, October 01, 2009

For the last 2 days I have continued my work on going back over my readings (name stuck in the shallow end) and doing zero drafts of my chapters 1 and 2 as suggested earlier. One conclusion that I have come to since my starting this research is that the dearth of African Americans and Latino students in this field has nothing to do with the field or anything to do with access and it all has to do with race and social conditioning and how expectations shape these communities beliefs about themselves and their identity as it relates to this field. When I began I felt something interesting was going on between African Americans and this particular field. I do not believe that anymore.

2 comments:

Tracy Talbot said...

What do you believe?

Kai Ajala Dupé said...

The mystery is gone. I was thinking that something strange was going on. Something more interesting, but what I am finding is the same old story, low expectations, politics, constraints, conditioning, etc are the culprits.