Saturday, February 04, 2012

Today I started off the day reflecting on my conversation with Margaret regarding my research design. I am seriously considering doing a Delphi study. The only problem is that I need to have someone on my committee familiar with the method. I have also reached out to Microsoft one last time. The two other folks I would love to have on my committee are Linda Polin who I had asked when I completed my comps and Margaret likes working with her and someone who I have just met who shares my research interests, LaVelle Hendricks of Texas A&M University-Commerce. I have reached out to him. I then spent a few hours working on my literature review from where I left off. While I was writing I came across this question raised from the New Image of Computing Initiative:


Why isn’t a high school interest in computer science translating into enrollment in college computer science classes?” (p. 17).

I could find students who were interesting in computer science in high school and interview them as to why they did not persist? This is something I could get from the Microsoft attendees. They were exposed, and they attended the programs so they were interested, but they are not in college right now or they are in college in another major. What happened? I could form an interview or a survey around that?

I was able to get through all 26 pages. There are still a few citations I need to find but for the most part they are all done. Now I need to go back through my sources and flesh out my outline. There are a couple sections that are empty. I may even need to reorder and modify my outline particularly that last part. But that is good. I also reached out to Richard Tapia again and the folks at New Image of Computing. It may be easier for me to interview students even though that requires IRB.

No comments: