Monday, April 19, 2010

This week I took a step back. My professor accused me of plagiarism and I was nearly dropped from the program. This was very upsetting to me as it was more an error on my part as opposed an intention to deceive. But whatever, it is what it is. I have had time to work on my paper recently because of work and family obligations. I am now aware of a tool called TurnItIn that I need to use to check my paper for originality. After going back and forth with my professor it is clear that I do not have a proper understanding of how to use sources. I will spend a few hours today working on my dissertation. One of my goals for this session is to review the links Margaret gave me as well as reviewing the APA Manual and hopefully, start the rewrite of my paper. This rewrite should not take a lot of time, so I should have something to submit by Sunday.

Hotep,
Kai

4 comments:

Tracy Talbot said...

Yikes! That sounds about enough to give a person a coronary! Glad you got it resolved. And thanks for the link to turnitin!

Kai Ajala Dupé said...

yeah, I was pretty hot. in the end it is my responsibility, thus my fault. lesson learned.

Tracy Talbot said...

The amazing thing to me is that you got this far in your (advanced) education before it was pointed out to you. That's concerning IMHO (in terms of the quality of educators out there).

Kai Ajala Dupé said...

I agree. It was my totally my fault according to them. I have been writing papers for a long time. I was shocked to, but I definitely understand what I did wrong now and that should allow me to make much progress on this rewrite. In fact, I am doing it now.